Looking for Pillows for Back Pain Relief?
The importance of good night sleep is needless to explain. Sadly, there are many things that make it troublesome to sleep like a baby during the night out of which back pain and discomfort are the main. A lot of people complain about back pain and how it makes it impossible for them to sleep during the night. Despite the knowledge back pain bearers have about having a comfortable pillow to seek relief, finding the best pillow for back pain is a daunting task that people seldom take.
It has been reported that those who suffer from back pain and sleeping discomfort have a disruptive sleeping pattern and cycle that turns their world upside down. Researchers have concluded that there are a lot of factors that contribute to a poor sleeping pattern including poor sleeping posture, uncomfortable mattresses, poor lifestyle choices and the most a not-enough-comfortable and supportive pillow.
Yes, while you must be blaming those mattresses for your back pain this whole time, it is also your pillow that is responsible for the back pain that gets worse from the bad after you hit the bed. Thankfully, there are some best pillows for back pain that are available in the market as a relief to your sleepless nights because of the nagging back discomfort.
This review of the best pillows for back pain will be your ultimate guide to buy a pillow that helps you overcome your back-pain problems and sleep like a baby, all night long. We haven’t only compiled the list of 10 best pillows for your back, but also created a guide that helps you in choosing the best option for you. Truth to be told, buying a pillow for back pain is not easy and considering the number of options available, it is one intimidating task you would like to take up on your next shopping expedition. However, read this post to the last and make your pillow shopping easy and successful.
Sleeping Tips to Avoid Back Pain:
When you are dealing with back pain, even the easiest of the movements is a big task for you. The situation can become severe in spilt seconds and sleeping with a pinching discomfort is impossible. Luckily, there are ways that can help you pacify the situation and avoid getting into trouble with back discomfort. Here are some sleeping tips that help you in avoiding back pain:
One of the worst outcomes of continuous back pain is that you have a very light sleep with frequent awakenings. This happens when you are not tired enough or too cautious about your condition. To avoid such incidents and ensure a good night’s sleep, make sure you take medications as prescribed by your health care provider and also indulge in light exercise as appropriate to the condition.
Take a perfect position
The way you lie in the bed makes your condition better or worse. For people with back pain, it is extra important that you pay attention to your sleeping posture. You should never sleep on your stomach as it creates extra pressure on the spinal cord. The best sleeping position is on the back. To make it more comfortable, try placing a pillow below your knees and taking a comfortable pillow for back pain.
If you haven’t invested in a good pillow lately, it is time that you start searching for one. As we have already said, there are ample of amazing options online and you can easily get a pillow that soothes your back pain. When you give enough support to your body, you can ensure that the back does not suffer from the extra strain.
Bathe before you hit the bed
A simple trick to ensure you sway off to deep sleep is taking a warm shower before you hit the bed. This will help you get rid of the undue stress in your body and allow the muscles to relax. Make sure you take the shower and hit the bed immediately after drying off to keep the effects of the warm water in your body preserved.
The right way to wake up
The way you rise from the bed also affects your sleep. As you wake up, turn to your side, draw up both the knees and swing your legs to the side of the bed. Slowly push yourself to the sitting position and then bend forward to allow your core muscles to activate and help you avoid the pressure on the back.
Types of Pillows
You will be surprised to know that the pillow you use daily has several variants. Yes, most of think of a pillow as an ordinary accessory we use for sleeping, but, there several varieties of them, each unique to its purpose.
The most common types of pillows used in every household, these pillows may or may not have a cover and have materials like fiber, cotton, down feathers, shredded memory foam, single sheet memory foam, latex and microbeads stuffed inside. You can easily choose the filling as per your likings or allergy status.
If you are a hyper allergic individual, you can choose filling material that is neutral in nature such as kapok cotton, buckwheat, water and more. There is no one size fits all phenomenon when it comes to the pillow. What may be comfortable to you may give nightmares to other members of your family. The experts recommend that you try the pillow once before investing in it.
Dual profile pillow
As the name suggests, the dual profile pillows have two lofts in a single pillow. The edge of the pillow is round in shape which offers great support to the neck. As per your comfort level, you can choose to use the high side or the low side of the pillow.
For those who are dealing with chronic back pain or have recently recovered from back surgery, wedge pillows are recommended by health care experts. The wedge pillow offers you support like a recliner as they have one or two wedge-shaped parts that imitate the recliner’s comfort.
You must have used this pillow on your last flight or train journey. They are light-weight, u-shaped pillows that offer support to your neck as you doze off on your seat.
Lumbar Support pillows
Best pillow for back pain, the lumbar support pillow, as the name suggests offers great support to your back. It is made bespoke to the shape of a human back and prevents the downward pull of gravitation force.
Coccyx cushions or pillows
These pillows or cushions come with a hole like structure in them. Using this pillow eliminates the pressure from the tailbone and is best recommended for people who have broken coccyx or coccygeal pain.
The Best Pillows for Back Pain
To avoid uncomfortable sleep because of back pain and prevent the condition from getting worse, you need a pillow that offers you great support. InteVision Extra Large Bed Wedge Pillow is one of the most helpful pillows for back pain sufferers. It offers you great support as you sleep on your back with no discomfort, irrespective of your back pain status. Because it is a wedge pillow for back pain, it elevates your back, offering more support and ensuring the right sleeping position. The headrest is filled with memory foam which can be easily adjusted as per your comfort. Key features of the wedge pillow include:
- The pillow is an extra-large wedge pillow measuring 33″ x 30.5″ x 12″ inches.
- The pillow features a two-layer design, made from memory foam and base foam.
- The cover of the pillow is made of high-quality, 400 thread count, 100% Egyptian cotton.
- With great shape and size, the pillow proves beneficial for people for back pain.
- A wide pillow that allows you to adjust your hands as well.
- Beneficial for a range of conditions including acid reflux, snoring, allergies and more.
- Memory foam makes it very supportive and comfortable.
- Extra length for better flexibility.
- Because it is extra-large, it might take a lot of space on your bed.
Overall the pillow is one of the best options available to people with back pain. The pillow is made of memory foam which has a range of benefits. Moreover, it has a soft and high-quality cover which is also washable, making it a complete package. It offers high support and comfortability, helping you sleep better.
2 – Ecosa Pillow
If you are suffering from back pain, what you need the most is the right support for your neck and head. After a lot of research and testing, Ecosa pillows came into existence to offer you a perfect night’s sleep. The ergonomic design of the pillow supports your neck and head just perfectly ensuring you sleep like a baby. From adjustable height to high portability, the pillow has everything you need for a perfect sleep. Let’s have a look at the key features of this pillow:
- The pillow is designed to offer high comfort and support to the neck and head.
- It has three different layers including Removable Cover, Breathable 3D Structure and Activated Charcoal Memory Foam.
- Ecosa pillow is rich with odor control, antibacterial, heat and moisture disbursing and comfort giving properties.
- Easy to wash and maintain.
- The pillow comes with an easy to remove and wash cover.
- You can adjust the height of the pillow by adding or removing the elevation pads.
- The company offers 100 nights free trial offer.
- There are two travel bags added to every order.
- If you are a back sleeper, it is not for you.
It took the company two years to come up with the design of Ecosa Pillows. So much investment of resources has paid well as the pillow is one of the best pillows for back pain. The pillow is easy to maintain as you can take out the cover and wash it. You can also carry it along wherever you go. Depending on your comfort level, the pillow height can be adjusted, what else you want from a pillow for back pain.
A wedge pillow for back pain is the best as per the experts. The Cushy Form Bed Wedge Pillow is made of memory foam which is again one of the doctor’s recommended factors for comfortable sleep. When you use this pillow, you can easily convert your bed into a recliner, adding more comfort and support to your sleeping position. You can easily maintain the pillow as the cover/ pillowcase is removable and washable. Let’s know the features which maks this pillow this incredible for back pain:
- The wedge pillow offers extended support to your body including upper back and shoulders.
- It is an extra-large pillow, offering great comfort and space to sleep.
- The top cover is breathable and washable.
- It is made of memory foam which is one of the best materials for pillows for back pain.
- The pillow helps with neck and back pain as it contours shoulders, neck and head.
- It offers you great support so that your body does not sink.
- Memory foam maintains the temperature of the body.
- You get a 100% money-back guarantee.
- There is no additional headrest.
- The pillow is not great for back sleepers.
Excellent pillow for back pain if you are a back sleeper. It is made of memory foam so the firmness, comfort level and temperature control are amazing. There is enough space on this pillow because of its large size. However, the size can be a concern as well because it takes a lot of space on the bed.
What is the ideal pillow for back pain? It is the one that has an ergonomic design, quality construction, firmness and affordable price. Well, the Milemont Memory Foam Pillow has all these qualities in it. It is made with high-quality memory foam, boasts an ergonomic design, and offers great support and comfort. It allows you to have a comfortable night’s sleep and wake up fresh. The top features of the pillow include:
- It has a great design that offers support to the spine, head, neck and shoulders.
- The memory foam construction ensures temperature control.
- It is available in a standard size.
- It is a therapeutic pillow with great benefits.
- It features the best design that promotes restorative REM sleep and decreases neck pain.
- The top cover is removable and washable.
- It offers great cervical support and comfort.
- It has CertiPUR-US certified premium memory foam.
- It is free from formaldehyde, methane chloride, or PBDE.
- It gives a very bad odor. However, the odor settles down in 2 hours.
An excellent pillow for back pain, the Milemont Memory Foam Pillow offers comfort to back sleepers, side sleepers and stomach sleepers. It also comes in a standard size and has a great height. Affordable and ergonomic, the pillow offers great comfort.
Whether you are dealing with back pain or other health problems, a wedge pillow offers you a range of benefits. The Bed Wedge Pillow with Memory Foam is ergonomically designed and created to offer great support to the body and offer great sleep. High quality and ergonomically designed and developed, this pillows ensure you have good sleep through the night and wake up fresh in the morning. The key features of the pillow include:
- Highly comfortable design that provides a great reclining position.
- High-density memory foam construction for enhanced sleep.
- Extra-large wedge pillow measuring 25” x 24” x 12”.
- Washable cover for easy maintenance and use.
- Ideal for sleeping, watching TV and relaxing.
- Relief from neck/back pain, acid reflux, snoring, allergies, breathing issues.
- Memory foam construction ensures temperature control.
- 100% money-back guarantee from the brand.
- Too large for single beds.
- No headrest for extra comfort.
This pillow combines memory foam, ergonomic design and quality construction together. It is a great pillow if you sleep on your back. Moreover, it is versatile and serves as a recliner while you are watching TV or enjoying some relaxing time.
As the name suggests, this pillow offers great lumbar support ensuring great relief from back pain and hence a perfect night sleep. The unique design of this pillow is its USP as it provides great support to you as you doze off. Making your nights full of sleep, this pillow also has a myriad of benefits. Let us discuss its key features first:
- High-quality memory foam pillow for extra support.
- Adjustable height option to choose the best height.
- Unique lumbar support design to ensure great support to the spine.
- The top cover can be removed and washed separately.
- The specialized memory foam construction ensures a non-irritable and recharging sleep.
- Memory foam construction ensures a cool and comfortable sleep.
- You can adjust the height; increase or decrease it as per your comfort.
- 100% money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied.
- The lumbar support design treats back pain and also prevents further complications.
- It is too thin in design which might cause a problem to a few back pain sufferers.
Whatever be the reason for your back pain, this memory foam wedge pillow is the best one for relief. If you are suffering from sleepless nights because the back pain does not let you sleep, you need to buy this pillow. The pillow boasts a 5-in-1 design which is one of its kind features. It is constructed of high-quality memory foam which offers great comfort and durability. Besides making your nights comfortable, this pillow also enhances your overall health. Here are the key features of the pillow:
- The pillow has a 5-in-1 foldable design which makes it very versatile,
- The 30-or 60-degree angle of elevation ensures great comfort and support.
- The 1.5” layer of memory foam maintains the temperature and ensures great sleep.
- The foldable design makes it easy to maintain a pillow for back pain.
- The design helps in a number of conditions including knee pain, back pain, varicose veins, edema, and more.
- High-density memory foam construction ensures great sleeping comfort because of contouring.
- The upper cover is removable and washable.
- 100% money-back guarantee.
- The pillow might be too small for someone larger than 5.5 inches.
Another great pillow with back pain relief features. Sadly the size of the pillow might be a concern for people of large frames. Although it has great memory foam construction, the size is the biggest shortcoming.
There is no better pillow than a full body pillow, and AngQi Pregnancy Pillow with Jersey Cover is one of them. The pillow is made of high quality 100% PP cotton and hence offers great comfort to pregnant women and those who have had surgeries. The key feature of the pillow includes:
- 55 inches jersey knit cover for highest comfort and softness.
- U-shaped design provides great body support.
- The pillow is filled with 6.6lbs (3kg) premium PP Cotton which means it is sturdy and firm.
- Great comfort and versatile use pillow for women, men and kids.
- There is a zipper in the pillow which allows you to customize the filling as per your need.
- It is ideal for sleeping, reading in bed, watching TV or relaxing.
- 100% polyester construction offering durability.
- The polyester cover may be too hot at times.
If you are pregnant and facing problems while sleeping, this pillow is great for you, it is very comfortable and soft to use and gives you the right support for a good night sleep.
9 – SOLIDBACK | Lower Back Pain Relief Treatment Stretcher | Chronic Lumbar Support | Herniated Disc | Sciatica Nerve | Spinal Stenosis | Posture Corrector | Pillow Cushion and Brace Products Alternative
A great solution to a range of problems, the SOLIDBACK is one of the most recommended pillows for back pain. The pillow very much goes by its name and provides solid support to your back. The company advertises this pillow as a potential treatment for back pain because of its excellent design. Made with Eva foam and designed by experts, the pillow has made one of the most popular pillows for back pain in recent times. Let have a look at its key features:
- High quality and high-density EVA foam construction.
- It boasts a very ergonomic design which means extra comfort and durability.
- High comfort and support to the back, alleviating back pain.
- Highly effective for all types of back pain.
- A highly firm and dense construction which avoids sagging.
- It offers the benefits of chiropractic treatment.
- Money-back guarantee.
- Helpful for Sciatica and Sciatic Nerve Pain, Chronic Lumbar and Lower Back Pain, Herniated Disc Pain, Spinal Stenosis, Back Stiffness and Bad postures.
- It may be discomforting at the beginning.
The unique design of this pillow for back pain ensures that the user gets a range of benefits. It has a unique design that promotes firmness and stability while sleeping. Investing in this pillow brings you the benefits of professional chiropractic treatment, hence worth purchasing.
There is no better comfort than what you get from a customized pillow. The Milemont Memory Foam Pillow is customized to offer you the highest level of comfort and freedom to adjust the pillow as per your needs. It is designed in a way that it relieves the pain in the neck and the back. Ergonomic design and quality construction make it a great pillow for people with back pain. The top features of this pillow are mentioned below:
- The pillow is made of 100% memory foam.
- It comes with a customization option and hence is great for buying.
- It is a medium-to-soft end pillow offering great relief and comfort.
- Great pillow with washable top cover.
- It is a Certified Chiropractic Pillow.
- The height of the pillow can be adjusted by adding or removing the memory foam layer.
- It offers great support and firmness.
- The memory foam construction maintains the temperature all day and night long.
- It might become too soft at times.
- May increase discomfort in the middle section of side sleepers.
Coming from the house of an excellent brand, this pillow indeed offers great comfort. It boasts of 1005 memory foam construction which maintains your temperature the whole night while offering you great comfort. Customization is a great benefit as it can be used by different members of the family. Overall a great pillow.
How to Choose the Best Pillows for Back Pain?
If you are suffering from back pain, finding the best pillow, which allows you comfort and ease from the pain, is more essential for you than ever. Using the right pillow affects your condition significantly and hence you must start searching for good pillows for back pain right away. But wait! How will you ensure that the pillow is one of the best pillows for your back?
Yes, there are a lot of varieties of pillows for back pain which can make your search cumbersome. We have made a list of key considerations to have in mind while buying a pillow for lower back pain to ensure you have the right support for a peaceful and painless sleep.
- Check the pillow size, shape and loft:
Understanding the pillow size, shape and loft are very important. When it comes to size, there are six standard sizes available in the market. You can however buy specialty sizes as per your requirements the standard sizes available include Standard, Super Standard, Queen, King, Euro and Body pillow (best for side sleepers and pregnant women).
There are also two choices of shape- even and curved. While even shaped pillows aren’t a great choice for back pain, they might help a few people by offering pressure relief from targeted pain points. On the other hand, curved pillows are made of special material and have a shape that helps in pain relief.
Finally, the pillow loft is also important. You can buy low-loft, medium loft and high loft pillows.
- Sleeping position
Your sleeping position will help you decide which loft is best for you. If you sleep on your back, investing in medium-loft pillows is recommended. For side sleepers, medium to high loft pillows are great as it fills the large gap between the head and the pillow. Finally, if you prefer sleeping on your stomach, low loft pillows are for you.
- Pillow material:
There are different types of material used to fill pillows. Each one of these materials has different advantages and disadvantages to offer. Buckwheat, down, down alternative, feather, latex, memory foam, Polyester and more are some of the choices of material to be filled in a pillow. In addition, a few pillows come with water-filled pockets inside.
- Firmness and pressure relief:
Depending upon the weight, sleeping position and height, the recommended level of firmness and pressure relief changes. The best pillow would offer great support to the neck and the back, eliminating the key pain points.
Having a set budget to buy a pillow is very important. This not only helps you in making an affordable purchase but also ensures that you have the best choices within your desired price range.
- Is my pillow making the back pain worse?
Yes, it might be if you are using the wrong pillow. It is very important for people with back pain to choose the right pillow. If you do not pay enough importance to your pillow shopping, you might end up buying a pillow which does not provide enough support, makes you uncomfortable, do not relieve the pressure points and make the back pain worse.
- Which is the worst pillow for back pain?
The pillow which is not firm enough and losses its shape as well as which does not provide you the right support is the worst for back pain. The pillows that cannot maintain the right shape may cause pressure at various parts of the body and worsen the back pain. Any pillow which cannot maintain its firmness is not recommended for back pain. Soft pillows can make your back pain worse and hence you must steer away from them.
- What is the most important factor to keep in mind while buying a pillow for back pain?
Loft and firmness of the pillow are the two main factors to keep in mind while buying the best pillow for back pain. The ultimate aim of a pillow is to offer support to the body and loft and firmness to ensure the same.
- Are all pillows for back pain expensive?
The cost of pillows for back pain is on the higher side because of their unique construction and benefits. However, they aren’t too expensive to buy. You can easily find an affordable option in the market. A few of them are mentioned in this review.
Getting the right pillow for your back problem should be your first aim. There is a range of pillows available in the market, most of which we have explained in this post. We have also compiled the list of the best pillows available in the market for back pain. However, we personally recommend InteVision Extra Large Bed Wedge Pillow (33″ x 30.5″ x 12″). The wedge pillow is great in terms of construction, comes with a head rest and maintains its firmness throughout the night. It is also an affordable pillow for back pain.